(also Californian poppy)
An annual poppy native to western North America, which is cultivated for its brilliant yellow or orange flowers.
- Eschscholtzia californica, family Papaveraceae
More example sentences
- In spring, the hills shine an almost Irish green; patches of California poppies glow brilliant yellow orange.
- The three flowers to be voted upon included the California poppy, the Mariposa lily, and the Matilija poppy.
- Among them were orange and yellow California poppies; their sunny blooms have returned every year since.
Definition of California poppy in:
- The US English dictionary