(also Canopic vase)
- A covered urn used in ancient Egyptian burials to hold the entrails and other visceral organs from an embalmed body.More example sentences
- In another little room there's the shrine which contains the Canopic vases and here are the four guardian figures of girls which Professor Breasted told me were masterpieces of art.
- The heads of the Canopic jars represent the four sons of Horus.
- The very rare and precious inheritance of the Museum consists in relief cippi, bucaros, Canopic vases and inscriptions.
late 19th century: Canopic from Latin Canopicus, from Canopus, the name of a town in ancient Egypt.
More definitions of Canopic jarDefinition of Canopic jar in:
- The US English dictionary