noun (plural same or Cape coloureds)
- (In South Africa) a person of mixed ethnic descent resident in the province of Western Cape, speaking Afrikaans or English as their first language, and typically not a follower of Islam. Compare with Cape Malay.More example sentences
- In addition, 133 blacks had become Cape coloureds, one black had become a Griqua and one Cape coloured had become a Malay.
- During the apartheid era, they were called the Cape coloureds.
- In South Africa, that group is called the Cape coloureds.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Cape coloured people.More example sentences
- D' Oliveira, originally born in South Africa in 1931, was designated Cape coloured, and hence had no chance of establishing a career in cricket in his home country.
- I meet the Cape coloured workers who have transformed themselves, from self-confessed illiterate drunkards into entrepreneurs who paid for their own representative to attend the London Wine Show two years ago.
- The Commission was established to study data on the Cape coloured population, and although some of the testimonials are in Afrikaans, most of this material is in English.
More definitions of Cape colouredDefinition of Cape coloured in:
- The US English dictionary