- A friar or nun of a contemplative Catholic order founded at Mount Carmel during the Crusades and dedicated to Our Lady.More example sentences
- The Carmelites and Austin friars arrived in the 1240s.
- The service, on Friday, May 16, is being held by the Carmelites, a religious order within the Roman Catholic Church.
- From the seminary he joined a strict order of Carmelites, which he considered to be the way to attain heaven.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Carmelites.More example sentences
- The importance of community is central to Carmelite life. All Carmelites are called to live in community and Father Joseph reflected upon the importance of this.
- John of the Cross was a 16 th-century Spanish mystic and Carmelite priest.
- She was prioress of the first reformed Carmelite convent in France, and spread the teachings of the founder of the French School, Pierre de Berulle, through the movement.
More definitions of CarmeliteDefinition of Carmelite in:
- The US English dictionary