Definition of Carmelite in English:
A friar or nun of a contemplative Catholic order founded at Mount Carmel during the Crusades and dedicated to Our Lady.
- The Carmelites and Austin friars arrived in the 1240s.
- The service, on Friday, May 16, is being held by the Carmelites, a religious order within the Roman Catholic Church.
- From the seminary he joined a strict order of Carmelites, which he considered to be the way to attain heaven.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Carmelites.
- The importance of community is central to Carmelite life. All Carmelites are called to live in community and Father Joseph reflected upon the importance of this.
- John of the Cross was a 16 th-century Spanish mystic and Carmelite priest.
- She was prioress of the first reformed Carmelite convent in France, and spread the teachings of the founder of the French School, Pierre de Berulle, through the movement.
Definition of Carmelite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan