noun (plural Catholicoses /kəˌθɒlɪˈkəʊsiːz/ or Catholicoi /kəˈθɒlɪkɔɪ/)
- The Patriarch of the Armenian or the Nestorian Church.More example sentences
- Trdates III appointed Gregory the Church's first Catholicos in 303, and the Cathedral he erected in continues today as the seat of the supreme Catholicos of the worldwide Armenian Apostolic Church.
- The Armenian Apostolic Church has two catholicosate sees: the Catholicos of All Armenians at Etchmiadzin, Armenia, and Cilicia, in Antelias, Lebanon.
- Georgian law grants the Catholicos the same power as that of a king, and the clergy actively participates in state affairs.
early 17th century: from medieval Greek katholikos 'universal' (see catholic).
More definitions of CatholicosDefinition of Catholicos in:
- The US English dictionary