adjective[postpositive when used with a numeral]
- Of or denoting a scale of temperature on which water freezes at 0° and boils at 100° under standard conditions: a temperature of less than 25° CelsiusMore example sentences
- The Kelvin scale uses Celsius units, the main difference being that zero on the Kelvin scale is absolute.
- The ship's diving team took the opportunity to progress continuation training in the pristine 31 degrees Celsius waters around the port.
- Biological records show that insect species are appearing six days earlier on average for each degree Celsius rise in temperature.
nounBack to top
- (also Celsius scale) The Celsius scale of temperature.More example sentences
- Most of our temperatures will be presented in Celsius, but you can grab a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter here.
- Likewise, we can measure temperatures on the Celsius or Fahrenheit scales.
- I have similar problems with temperature - cold temperatures work best in Celsius, hot in Fahrenheit.
Celsius rather than centigrade is the standard accepted term when giving temperatures: use 25° Celsius rather than 25° centigrade .
More definitions of CelsiusDefinition of Celsius in:
- The US English dictionary