Definition of Cephalochordata in English:
A small group of marine invertebrates that comprises the lancelets.
- For this reason, the three subphyla, Urochordata, Cephalochordata, and Vertebrata, will be treated separately.
- Although this classification is widely accepted, some authors recognize three chordate phyla: Urochordata for the urochordates, Cephalochordata for the lancelets, and Vertebrata for the vertebrates.
- Deuterostomia are a major group of metazoans composed of three phyla: Chordata (including three subphyla: Vertebrata, Cephalochordata, and Urochordata), Hemichordata, and Echinodermata.
- Example sentences
- Five major groups are usually recognized within Deuterostomia at the level of phylum: hemichordates, echinoderms, cephalochordates, urochordates, and vertebrates.
- Comparative developmental studies of chordates have demonstrated that these regulatory genes are expressed in a conserved manner across the spectrum of body plans displayed by urochordates, cephalochordates and vertebrates.
- Also, unlike the vertebrate and cephalochordate genes, the ascidian homologues are not detected in mesodermal tissues.
Pronunciation: /ˌsɛfələ(ʊ)ˈkɔːdeɪt/ /ˌkɛfələ(ʊ)ˈkɔːdeɪt/noun& adjective
Definition of Cephalochordata in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan