- An order of marine mammals that comprises the whales, dolphins, and porpoises. These have a streamlined hairless body, no hindlimbs, a horizontal tail fin, and a blowhole on top of the head for breathing. See also Mysticeti, Odontoceti.More example sentences
- The order Sirenia is composed of manatees and dugongs, and the order Cetacea includes whales, dolphins, and porpoises.
- However, in a phylogenetic analysis of the complete mitochondrial genome of the Jamaican fruit bat it appeared more closely related to cetferungulates, a clade including Cetacea, Artiodactyla, Perissodactyla, and Carnivora.
- The order Cetacea comprises two extant sub-orders and one extinct sub-order.
modern Latin (plural), from Latin cetus, from Greek kētos 'whale'.
More definitions of CetaceaDefinition of Cetacea in:
- The US English dictionary