Definition of Chaldee in English:
1 [mass noun] The language of the ancient Chaldeans.
- He adhered to the Biblical account of the origin of languages, claiming that all languages derived from ‘Chaldee’.
- We are looking for an answer that will be easily verified by the international reader without the need to be an expert in Hebrew, Greek or Chaldee.
- He was dismayed to find, in doing the latter, that translators to the various languages had repeated errors made by the Greek translators of the Hebrew or Chaldee text.
1.1 dated The Aramaic language as used in some books of the Old Testament.
- The Hebrew language is the language of the Hebrew nation, and that in which the Old Testament is written, with the exception of a few portions in Chaldee.
- For many years he read the Old Testament in Hebrew and Chaldee and the New Testament in Greek, so as to arrive at their meaning from ancient writers themselves alone.
- Every one who is acquainted with the rudiments of the Hebrew and Chaldee languages, must know that God, in the holy Writings, very often spoke of Himself in the plural.
2A native of ancient Chaldea.
- Kabbalah clearly goes back to the ancient Middle East: pre-Babylonian; pre-Ur of the Chaldees.
- How I myself longed for a visit to Ur of the Chaldees - what decadence they must have had in their idolatrous blossom.
- Indeed, the overwhelming question that the Catholic Church had to confront in the last century - and which it wrestled with at the Second Vatican Council - is whether the church itself has now become an Ur of the Chaldees in the modern world.
Definition of Chaldee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia