Definition of Chasselas in English:
1A variety of white grape, grown mainly in Europe and Chile for eating as a fruit or for making wine.
- Varieties such as Chardonnay and Riesling are more winter hardy than Pinot Noir, Chasselas, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- On the other hand, Chasselas yields are more than double… no wonder its wine is less intense.
- Well-born and bred Chasselas is highly sensitive to the diversity found in the soils, exposure and altitude.
1.1A wine made from the Chasselas grape.
- In Germany it is known as Weiiser Gutedel, and in France is often known as Chasselas de Moissac.
- Crisp dry fruity whites such as Chasselas from Switzerland or Chignin from Savoie are the best pairings.
- Chasselas also has quite the home in France where it is the common component of many a white table wine.
Named after a village near Mâcon, France.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan