- A large group of arthropods that comprises the arachnids, sea spiders, and horseshoe crabs. They lack antennae, but possess a pair of chelicerae, a pair of pedipalps, and (typically) four pairs of legs.
More example sentences
- Subphylum Chelicerata, phylum Arthropoda
- Arthropods have traditionally been divided into four classes: Trilobita, Chelicerata, Crustacea, and Uniramia.
- One of these pairs is expected to be the homologue to the chelicerae of the Chelicerata.
- Generations of morphologists have been unable to determine the branching order of Chelicerata, Myriapoda, Crustacea and Insecta.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek khēlē 'claw' + keras 'horn'.
More definitions of ChelicerataDefinition of Chelicerata in:
- The US English dictionary