- The Chinese festival marking the start of the new year, beginning on the second new moon after the winter solstice and ending on the full moon fifteen days later. It is marked by visits to family and friends, special meals, fireworks, and gift giving. Also called Spring Festival.More example sentences
- This Chinese New Year is the year of the goat, and is the perfect excuse to have a dance and listen to some of the finest music in the Northern Rivers.
- Chinese New Year is the most important celebration in the Chinese year; it is governed by the lunar calendar.
- I was amazed during the Chinese New Year to see thousands of people line up for hours, waiting their turn to enter the Buddhist temple located on the street behind my apartment building.
More definitions of Chinese New YearDefinition of Chinese New Year in:
- The US English dictionary