Definition of Chipewyan in English:
noun (plural same or Chipewyans)
1A member of a Dene people of NW Canada. Compare with Chippewa.
- I have yet to encounter a Chipewyan with any interest in the question’.
- However, between 1715 and 1769 the Chipewyans in their territory were on the edge of history only.
- It became harder for the Canadiens to exert influence over the Cree and Chipewyans by trade goods alone.
2 [mass noun] The Athabaskan language of the Chipewyan, with about 8,000 speakers.
- It was followed by Dene (Chipewyan), Inuktitut, Slavey, Dogrib and Ojibway translations.
- Chipewyan is spoken by around 4000 native people in Northern Canada today.
- Only a handful of people still speak Chipewyan fluently, he says, and those under 45 have only a sketchy knowledge of the language at best.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Chipewyan or their language.
- Treeline is one of the few facilities that replaces the motors on its boats every year, and its registered Chipewyan and Cree guides are among the country's best.
- Though many Chipewyan people are bilingual in Chippewa or Cree, it is actually not related to those languages at all.
- In 1715 an expedition under William Stewart of the HBC was made into Chipewyan territory.
from Cree, literally '(wearing) pointed-skin (garments)'.
Definition of Chipewyan in:
- US English dictionary