A South American cactus with flattened segmented stems and red, pink, or white flowers, grown as a houseplant.
- Schlumbergera bridgesii, family Cactaceae
More example sentences
- While poinsettia is the most popular, a Christmas cactus in full bloom is a great gift and easy to care for once the flowers have faded.
- You'll be glad to hear that my Christmas cacti are now dripping with pink buds and the geraniums on my frost-free balcony continue to bloom spectacularly.
- Every fall, my Christmas cactus displays a spectacular profusion of blooms on a covered patio in San Mateo, California.
so named because it flowers at about the northern midwinter.
Definition of Christmas cactus in:
- The US English dictionary