- 1A girl in various traditional European fairy tales. In the version by Charles Perrault she is exploited as a servant by her family but enabled by a fairy godmother to attend a royal ball. She meets and captivates Prince Charming but has to flee at midnight, leaving the prince to identify her by the glass slipper which she leaves behind.
- 1.1 [as noun] A person or thing that is undeservedly neglected or ignored: is research into breast cancer to remain the Cinderella of medicine?More example sentences
- They are the Cinderellas of the public sector workers.
- Mental health patients are the Cinderellas of the NHS, always have been, always will be.
- In terms of recognition, children's companies have been the Cinderellas of theatre.
from cinder + the diminutive suffix -ella, on the pattern of French Cendrillon, from cendre 'cinders'.
More definitions of CinderellaDefinition of Cinderella in:
- The US English dictionary