Definition of Circassian in English:
1A member of a group of mainly Sunni Muslim peoples of the NW Caucasus.
- Arabs represented 98 percent of the population, Circassians one percent, and Armenians one percent.
- While the Druze and the Circassians were made to serve in the armed forces, Muslims and Christians were not allowed to do so.
- Among the resisters were the Circassians in the west and the Chechens and Dagestanis in the east, all Muslims.
2 [mass noun] Either of two North Caucasian languages of the Circassians, Adyghe and Kabardian. Also called Cherkess.
- Kurdish, Armenian, and Circassian also are spoken.
- They learn Hebrew, English and Circassian at school.
- Even in Turkey the younger generation still speak Circassian - albeit only poorly, as a second language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Circassians or their language.
- When he built this hotel in 1912 he filled it with Austrian crystal chandeliers, Circassian walnut paneling, and an Italian marble staircase and floors.
- It set off her golden eyes, and her very light blond hair, a legacy of her Circassian ancestors.
- Special seats were set aside in parliament for Christian, Chechen, Circassian, and Bedouin minorities.
From Circassia, Latinized form of Russian Cherkes, denoting a district in the northern Caucasus.
Words that rhyme with CircassianParnassian
Definition of Circassian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.