- A large yellow dessert pear of a late-fruiting variety that is cultivated commercially.More example sentences
- The Comice is a purely dessert pear - in season from late autumn to midwinter.
- 4 large just ripe (but not too soft) pears - eg, Williams, Comice or Conference
- The Anjou (October to June), the Comice (September to March), and the tiny Forelle (September to February) are better appreciated fresh.
mid 19th century: from French, literally 'association, cooperative', referring to the Comice Horticole of Angers, France, where this variety was developed.
More definitions of ComiceDefinition of Comice in:
- The US English dictionary