- A country consisting of a group of islands in the Indian Ocean north of Madagascar; population 752,400 (est. 2009); languages, French (official), Arabic (official), Comoran Swahili; capital, Moroni. The islands were first visited by the English at the end of the 16th century. At that time and for long afterwards Arab influence was dominant. In the mid 19th century they came under French protection, until in 1974 all but one of the four major islands voted for independence.
- More example sentences
- He was acquitted in 1999 of murdering a Comoran president.’
- Only once a man has performed a grand wedding is he truly considered an adult in Comoran society, with the right to speak at public gatherings and wear robes of high status at weddings.
- Twenty Comoran soldiers are captured in the process.
More definitions of ComorosDefinition of Comoros in:
- The US English dictionary