Definition of Coptic in English:
The language of the Copts, which represents the final stage of ancient Egyptian. It now survives only as the liturgical language of the Coptic Church.
- The Middle East churches retain distinct liturgies, which are recited in ancient Coptic, Aramaic, Syriac, or Chaldean depending upon the particular sect.
- His precocious talent was made clear when, aged 16, he addressed the Grenoble Academy of Arts and Sciences with a paper in which he suggested that Coptic was the ancient language of Egypt.
- The lingua franca of the empire was Greek although some of the empire's inhabitants spoke Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, and other local languages, but did not have national consciousness with its contemporary meaning.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Copts or their language.
- Dedicating himself to the study of various oriental languages - including Persian, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Arabic - Champollion also began work on a dictionary and grammar of the Coptic language.
- Jean-François went to high school there, reading a paper on the Coptic language before the Académie de Grenoble when he was only 16.
- A Coptic Christian offered to show them a ford across the river.
Definition of Coptic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan