- (In 17th-century Scotland) an adherent of the National Covenant (1638) or of the Solemn League and Covenant (1643), upholding the organization of the Scottish Presbyterian Church.More example sentences
- Drawn from all parts of Scotland and all sections of society, Covenanters subscribed to the National Covenant of 1638.
- She had stood for truth above compromise in those cruel and difficult days for the Scottish Covenanters of 1685.
- After the defeat of the Scottish Covenanters at Bothwell Brig in 1687, a new wave of Scottish refugees came to Ulster.
More definitions of CovenanterDefinition of Covenanter in:
- The US English dictionary