Definition of Cree in English:
noun (plural same or Crees)
1A member of an American Indian people living in a vast area of central Canada.
- The second part of the strategy to induce the Crees to stay in Canada included the abandonment of Fort Walsh in May 1883.
- This Offshore Overlap Agreement is another important step in Crees and Inuit co-operation and sharing.
- Indian Affairs came to control the political affairs of the Crees under the Indian Act, and minimal social services such as pensions became available to many.
2 [mass noun] The Algonquian language of the Cree, closely related to Montagnais. It has about 60,000 speakers.
- And that's in Cree, which comes from the Algonquin language.
- There are Masses in Cree, Chipweyan, Blackfoot and Dene as well as English.
- It is related linguistically to the languages not only of the Ottawa and Potawatomi but also of the Fox, Cree, and Menominee.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Cree or their language.
- It comes from the language of the Cree tribe further south, where it means ‘eater of raw meat’.
- Some sports will also take place in Fort Chipewyan, a small isolated Cree community a 30-minute flight from Fort McMurray.
- The provisions combine a high degree of Cree participation in elementary and secondary education, with final decision-making and legislative power resting in Quebec.
Words that rhyme with Creeabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
Definition of Cree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan