- 1The god of love. He is represented as a naked winged boy with a bow and arrows, with which he wounds his victims. Greek equivalent Eros.
- 1.1 (as noun also cupid) A representation of a naked winged child, typically carrying a bow: little cupids floated in roseate cloudsMore example sentences
- He led her to a painting of a naked cupid and Venus.
- A guest at a ball, in conversation, repeats the pointing gesture of the cupid in the painting behind her.
- Behind the couples, a cupid brings new arrivals, while under the trees at right, other couples sing to the accompaniment of a recorder or oboe.
from Latin Cupido, personification of cupido 'love, desire', from cupere 'to desire'.