noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A metabolic disorder caused by overproduction of corticosteroid hormones by the adrenal cortex and often involving obesity and high blood pressure.More example sentences
- Medical disorders such as Cushing's syndrome, hypothyroidism and hypogonadism rarely cause obesity.
- The consensus was that women who present with hyperandrogenism and chronic anovulation, in the absence of congenital adrenal disorders, Cushing's syndrome, hyperprolactinemia, or tumors should be diagnosed with PCOS.
- It is useful to search for signs of hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome, although obesity is rarely the sole presentation of these conditions in adolescence.
1930s: named after Harvey W. Cushing (1869–1939), American surgeon.
More definitions of Cushing's syndromeDefinition of Cushing's syndrome in:
- The US English dictionary