Definition of Czech in English:
1A native or inhabitant of the Czech Republic or (formerly) Czechoslovakia, or a person of Czech descent.
- The Czechs, Hungarians and the citizens from other East European states have a similar history.
- Other numerically significant ethnic groups of Austria include Slovenes, Croats, and Czechs.
- The Dutch will go through with victory against Latvia only if the Germans do not beat the Czechs.
2 [mass noun] The Western Slavic language spoken in the Czech Republic, closely related to Slovak. It has over 10 million speakers.
- The whole family speak three languages - Czech, German and English.
- Reprinted five times in the 1920s, the book was translated into French, Czech, and other languages.
- The station was heaving with hundreds of other festivalgoers, speaking every European language from English to Czech.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Czechs or their language.
- Yesterday we started to learn the Czech language.
- My fluency in the Czech language is progressing slowly.
- The English language edition of the Czech catalog is currently available.
Definition of Czech in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan