- The lowest layer of the ionosphere, able to reflect low-frequency radio waves.More example sentences
- They will penetrate to the D-layer and increase the ionisation process and the electron density.
- The ionospheric D-layer is a narrow bandwidth radar target often with a very small scattering cross section.
- Simply due to the height difference of the ‘responsible’ layer, troposcatter is useful up to distances of 700 Km, whereas D-layer is at best in the 600/1300 Km range.
1930s: from an arbitrary use of the letter D.
More definitions of D-layerDefinition of D-layer in:
- The US English dictionary