- A synthetic organic compound used as an insecticide. Like other chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons, DDT tends to persist in the environment and become concentrated in animals at the head of the food chain. Its use is now banned in many countries.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CCl3CH(C6H4Cl)2
- The insecticide DDT has long been a prime target of anti-chemical and anti-pesticide campaigners.
- After the Second World War, Europe and North America used DDT to eradicate malaria.
- Since DDT was reintroduced in South Africa in April 2000, the number of mosquitoes is down.
1940s: abbreviation of dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane.
More definitions of DDTDefinition of DDT in:
- The US English dictionary