- (In the traditional Indian caste system) a member of the lowest caste. See also untouchable, scheduled caste.More example sentences
- He is a Dalit, a member of a lowly caste that traditionally performed the most menial tasks in Indian society.
- As I am a Dalit, a member of a lower caste, the discrimination I faced angered me, and I wanted to do something about it.
- Even in some modern traditional festivals, the Dalits find a place.
via Hindi from Sanskrit dalita 'oppressed'.
More definitions of DalitDefinition of Dalit in:
- The US English dictionary