Definition of Dalradian in English:
1Relating to or denoting a series of late Precambrian metamorphic rocks, occurring in Scotland and Ireland.
- Kennedy and McKerrow observed that the Late Precambrian / Cambrian Dalradian sequences of the Scottish Highlands were deformed in the Ordovician.
- Thus, movement along the Mannin Thrust brought mid-crustal plutons and Dalradian country rocks tectonically above the extrusive volcanic sequence.
- Peak metamorphic temperatures in the Dalradian schists reached 620 30°C in the north but only c.400°C in the south.
1.1 (as noun the Dalradian) The Dalradian series of rocks.
- Here, the first Grampian deformation to affect the Dalradian can be matched with very low-grade rocks in the adjacent Clew Bay Complex, a dismembered accretionary complex.
- The age signature of detrital zircons within the Dalradian as well as the Torridonian and Moine is consistent with derivation from a Laurentian hinterland.
- Current controversy over the maximum age of the Dalradian arises from contrasting interpretations of structural and lithostratigraphical relationships, and differing geological interpretation of chronological data.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.