- A miner’s portable safety lamp with the flame enclosed by wire gauze to reduce the risk of an explosion of gas.More example sentences
- Thus was born the Davy lamp, in which the flame is surrounded by wire gauze to dissipate heat and prevent ignition of flammable gases.
- Davy separated the flame from the gas, and his lamp later became widely used, and known as the Davy lamp.
- The Davy lamp was fuelled by oil or naptha (lighter fluid), and the wick was contained in a metal gauze cylinder.
More definitions of Davy lampDefinition of Davy lamp in:
- The US English dictionary