Definition of Dermoptera in English:
A small order of mammals which comprises the flying lemurs or colugos.
- Euarchontoglires is composed of the orders Primates, Rodentia, Lagomorpha (rabbits, hares, and pikas), Scandentia (tree shrews), and Dermoptera (flying lemurs).
- Bats are thought to be related most closely to the Dermoptera, a small order of mammals (two species) which includes the colugos or ‘flying lemurs’ of the Phillippines.
- The order Dermoptera contains a single family, the Cynocephalidae, which is made up of a single genus with two species.
- Example sentences
- Notable among these are primates, tree shrews, dermopterans, and bats.
- The relationships of picrodontids were long a matter of uncertainty, with early workers allying these peculiar mammals with marsupials, bats, insectivorans, or dermopterans.
- Here, we describe the isolation and characterization of a unique tRNA-derived SINE family in dermopterans (flying lemurs or colugos).
Pronunciation: /dəˈmɒptər(ə)n/noun& adjective
Definition of Dermoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan