- Of or reminiscent of the novels of Charles Dickens, especially in suggesting the poor social conditions or comically repulsive characters that they portray: the backstreets of Dickensian LondonMore example sentences
- He said the reports were ‘shocking reading, with a catalogue of Dickensian conditions, overcrowding and completely inadequate facilities’.
- At Greendale's chicken and egg factory, the employees' safety induction consisted of being told to read a training manual whose procedures bore absolutely no relation to the hazardous and Dickensian conditions on the shop floor.
- ‘The prime minister will challenge the idea that Britain is some Dickensian society with no social protection,’ one Downing Street source yesterday.
More definitions of DickensianDefinition of Dickensian in:
- The US English dictionary