Definition of Dinka in English:
noun (plural same or Dinkas)
1A member of a Sudanese people of the Nile basin.
- In the whole of South Sudan there are two groupings: there are those people who live in the area called the Bahr al Ghazal and then there is another area called the Upper Nile area, but these are all Dinkas.
- It ignores extensive evidence, including documented projects where Christian activists have ‘bought back ‘enslaved Dinkas from Muslim brokers.’
- The stage is so crucial that ‘the English teacher,’ another Dinka refugee with sufficient English skills to fill out application forms, becomes the key counselor for fellow Dinkas searching for harbor beyond Cairo.
2 [mass noun] The Nilotic language of the Dinka, with about 1.4 million speakers.
- Linguists classify Dinka as a major language family in the Nilotic category of African languages.
- In fact, the only interpreters in Ontario who speak his native language of Dinka reside in Toronto.
- In the south and west, English is spoken alongside the variety of indigenous languages, of which Dinka is the most widespread.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Dinka or their language.
- He was like any other Western observer, but with one difference - he had lived in Sudan for over 40 years and so knew the Dinka people and their language.
- Cut off from social relations with other Dinka slaves, for whom speaking their own language was a risk, mastering the Arabic language without instruction became a means of survival.
- He presided over an utterly devastated and underdeveloped war-torn region from a ramshackle collection of huts in Rumbek, the designated capital of southern Sudan in the heart of Dinka country.
From the local word Jieng 'people'.
Definition of Dinka in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan