Definition of Diplopoda in English:
A class of myriapod arthropods that comprises the millipedes.
- This arthropod subphylum includes the Chilopoda, the Diplopoda, the Pauropoda, and the Symphyla.
- Less frequently they will also eat Diplopoda, Araneae, snails, crabs, tree frogs, lizards and fish (Actinopterygii).
- Scudder considered Archipolypoda to represent the ‘prototypes’ of Diplopoda and possibly also Pauropoda.
- Example sentences
- Major arthropod lines have long been recognized (insects, crustaceans, chelicerates, diplopods, chilopods, etc.), but the phylogenetic relationships among these groups remain controversial.
- The distribution of fossil oniscomorphs is not surprising as modern diplopods are common in tropical environments characterized by high rainfall.
- Several of the genera included in Archipolypoda by Hoffman have been rejected as diplopods.
Definition of Diplopoda in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia