Definition of Diplura in English:
An order of small primitive wingless insects which resemble the true bristletails but have two bristles at the end of the abdomen.
- Order Diplura, subclass Apterygota, class Insecta (or Hexapoda)
- The Parainsecta (springtails and proturans) and Diplura are not true insects, for their numbers of abdominal segments vary.
- Neither are the Parainsecta (springtails and proturans) or Diplura true insects, for their numbers of abdominal segments vary.
- When nucleotide frequencies were tested within each of the three basal hexapod groups (i.e., within Protura, within Diplura, within Collembola), they were always stationary.
dipluran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- We have obtained the most extensive sample of basal hexapods so far: namely, 10 proturans, 12 diplurans, and 10 collembolans, including all their major subgroups - plus a wide range of out-group taxa.
- The cerci of some diplurans are designed to break off near the base if they are mishandled.
- Similar to some other primitive wingless insects, diplurans have external sexual reproduction.
Definition of Diplura in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.