Definition of Diptera in English:
1A large order of insects that comprises the two-winged or true flies, which have the hindwings reduced to form balancing organs (halteres). It includes many biting forms such as mosquitoes and tsetse flies that are vectors of disease.
- Diets of little brown myotis and eastern pipistrelles were highly diverse, consuming an even proportion of six orders of insects including Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Homoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Tricoptera.
- The staminate and pistillate flowers of S. mucugensis and S. curralensis were visited by insects belonging to three orders: Coleoptera, Diptera, and Hymenoptera.
- The leaf mining habit is known to have evolved only in four extant orders of insects: the Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera and Lepidoptera.
1.1 (diptera) Insects of the order Diptera; flies: many diptera bask in sunlight
More example sentences
- Small flowers and red petals suggest pollination by small diptera or lepidoptera, but the flowers do not appear to produce nectar.
- We hypothesize that the Drosophila Adh gene may not be orthologous with the other known Adh genes of higher diptera.
- The final species, Asclepias cucullata, is infrequently visited by Diptera, bees and other insects.
Definition of Diptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India