- Relating to a neoclassical decorative style intermediate between the more ornate Louis XVI style and the Empire style, prevalent during the French Directory (1795-9): a Directoire clockMore example sentences
- Following his mother's death, Auguste de Stael transformed the long gallery into the library, which today contains the books of the d' Haussonville family behind glass as well as Directoire and Empire furniture.
- In France decoration began to change at the start of the nineteenth century from the delicacy of the Directoire style to the more vigorous interpretation of antique ornament characteristic of the Empire style.
- They are also too dark in color, but the little Directoire chairs in my downstairs bed chamber are the greatest success of all.
More definitions of DirectoireDefinition of Directoire in:
- The US English dictionary