- A Hindu festival with lights, held in the period October to November. It is particularly associated with Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity, and marks the beginning of the financial year in India.More example sentences
- Two Goddesses in particular are celebrated at Diwali: Lakshmi and Kali.
- Bahrain Hindus celebrate a grand Divali in Sitra with the Indian ambassador as guest of honor.
- In Northern India, people celebrate the festival of Divali with sugar candy, batasha, and khil, puffed rice.
from Hindi dīvālī, from Sanskrit dīpāvali 'row of lights', from dīpā 'lamp' + vali 'row'.
More definitions of DiwaliDefinition of Diwali in:
- The US English dictionary