- Relating to or denoting a low-cost Newtonian reflecting telescope with large aperture and short focal length, or the simple altazimuth mount used for it.More example sentences
- I was manning the smaller of the two telescopes that comprise the LCT, a 12.5' f/4.8 Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount.
- My existing telescope is one of these, a 13.1' f/4.5 Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount.
- With Dobsonian telescopes and CCD sensors, the Earth acquired hundreds of thousands of new eyes, probing space and recording events that would have gone unnoticed by the few thousand professionals.
1980s: from the name of John Dobson, American amateur astronomer, + -ian.
More definitions of DobsonianDefinition of Dobsonian in:
- The US English dictionary