Definition of Docetism in English:
The doctrine, important in Gnosticism, that Christ’s body was not human but either a phantasm or of real but celestial substance, and that therefore his sufferings were only apparent.
- Indeed, this latter focus is an indispensable safeguard against the oldest and most enduring Christological heresy, Docetism: a Jesus removed from the travails of the flesh and the tragedies of history.
- Try explaining the soteriological danger of Docetism to your pewmate this Sunday and you'll see what I mean.
- Rome is more likely to inquire into the orthodoxy of theologians who work with a Christology from below than into the possible Docetism of theologians who follow a Christology from above.
- Example sentences
- The Docetists and their immoral practices are everywhere, honeycombing and corrupting the churches.
- Salvation, according to Docetists is a matter of coming to know the gnosis, the higher truth.
- Once you see that creation is not innately evil, then the other issue for Docetists is no longer a problem.
Definition of Docetism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.