Definition of Docetism in English:
The doctrine, important in Gnosticism, that Christ’s body was not human but either a phantasm or of real but celestial substance, and that therefore his sufferings were only apparent.
- Indeed, this latter focus is an indispensable safeguard against the oldest and most enduring Christological heresy, Docetism: a Jesus removed from the travails of the flesh and the tragedies of history.
- Try explaining the soteriological danger of Docetism to your pewmate this Sunday and you'll see what I mean.
- Rome is more likely to inquire into the orthodoxy of theologians who work with a Christology from below than into the possible Docetism of theologians who follow a Christology from above.
- Example sentences
- The Docetists and their immoral practices are everywhere, honeycombing and corrupting the churches.
- Salvation, according to Docetists is a matter of coming to know the gnosis, the higher truth.
- Once you see that creation is not innately evil, then the other issue for Docetists is no longer a problem.
Definition of Docetism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan