noun[mass noun] Physics
- The broadening of spectral lines as a result of the different velocities of the emitting atoms giving rise to different Doppler shifts.More example sentences
- For atomic spectra in the visible and UV, the limit on resolution is often set by Doppler broadening.
- When the driving field is resonant, at a suitable Doppler width, we can get a maximum value of the gain without inversion, which is much larger than that obtained when Doppler broadening is absent.
- In a low pressure gas, the main source of broadening is Doppler broadening from the thermal motion of the atoms or molecules of the gas.
More definitions of Doppler broadeningDefinition of Doppler broadening in:
- The US English dictionary