- Either of two flatfishes which are highly valued as food:
More example sentences
- ● a true sole that is common in European waters (Solea solea, family Soleidae). ● North American a relative of the lemon sole found in the East Pacific (Microstomus pacificus, family Pleuronectidae).
- Such favourites as herring, plaice, cod, Dover sole, haddock, monkfish, snapper, mackerel, sardines, scallops and tuna are all as wild as cheetahs and antelopes.
- A triumph of modern French cuisine, the short but sassy menu features lobster and smoked haddock soufflé, Dover sole with smoked eel, mackerel and pomme purée and crème of fromage blanc, peanut sable and ice cream for desert.
- Colclough said the river is now the largest Dover sole fishery in England and Wales.
More definitions of Dover soleDefinition of Dover sole in:
- The US English dictionary