A fungal disease of elm trees that is spread by elm bark beetles. A virulent strain of the fungus which arose in North America has destroyed the majority of elms in southern Britain.
- The fungus is Ceratocystis ulmi, subdivision Ascomycotina
More example sentences
- Previous research has documented the effects of chestnut blight, Dutch elm disease, ash yellows, oak wilt, and beech bark disease on tree diameter distributions in eastern deciduous forests.
- Another well known exotic is Dutch elm disease, a fungus that actually originated in Asia, came through Europe and on to North America where it has resulted in the death of many native elms in the US and Canada.
- The beetle-borne Dutch elm disease destroyed one of the nation's great shade trees.
Definition of Dutch elm disease in:
- The US English dictionary