nounchiefly North American
- A plant related to bleeding heart, but typically having pale yellow flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Dicentra, family Fumariaceae: several species, in particular D. spectabilis
- This triggers the appearance of a number of wildflowers: trillium, phlox, trout lily, Dutchman's breeches, violets, wild strawberries and many more.
- Many of our loveliest spring wildflowers - trillium, wild ginger, Dutchman's breeches, and hepatica among them - simply can't compete.
- Among them are Dutchman's breeches, spring-beauty, and various species of toothwort, trillium, and violet.
mid 19th century: so named because of the shape of the spurred flower.
More definitions of Dutchman's breechesDefinition of Dutchman's breeches in:
- The US English dictionary