- 1A code number preceded by the letter E, denoting food additives numbered in accordance with EU directives.More example sentences
- Once an additive has been approved as safe across the European Union, it is assigned an E-number.
- The magazine concludes that additives are essential to provide safe, convenient food all year round but questions the need for E-number ingredients to make food more colourful.
- Food campaigners have accused companies of deliberately misleading consumers, many of whom need to check labels for health reasons, by listing a mixture of additive names and E-numbers.
- 1.1 • informal A food additive.More example sentences
- The crisps are hand-fried using the finest flavourings - we don't use E-numbers or artificial flavourings.
- Today I have eaten at least a pound of pure E-numbers.
- There is nothing the six-year-old likes more now than to strut around the living room, cranked up on E-numbers after eating too many bags.