Definition of E-number in English:
1A code number preceded by the letter E, denoting food additives numbered in accordance with EU directives.
- Once an additive has been approved as safe across the European Union, it is assigned an E-number.
- The magazine concludes that additives are essential to provide safe, convenient food all year round but questions the need for E-number ingredients to make food more colourful.
- Food campaigners have accused companies of deliberately misleading consumers, many of whom need to check labels for health reasons, by listing a mixture of additive names and E-numbers.
1.1 informal A food additive.
- The crisps are hand-fried using the finest flavourings - we don't use E-numbers or artificial flavourings.
- Today I have eaten at least a pound of pure E-numbers.
- There is nothing the six-year-old likes more now than to strut around the living room, cranked up on E-numbers after eating too many bags.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan