- 1A Muslim festival, in particular:More example sentences
- He used to walk upto the place of Eid prayer.
- Hye told me the only time he saw Jinnah praying was during the Eid congregations.
- The second obligation on ' Eid day is to perform the ' Eid prayer.
- 1.1 (in full Eid ul-Fitr /ˌiːdʊlˈfɪtrə/) The feast marking the end of the fast of Ramadan. Also called Lesser Bairam.More example sentences
- We are passing through the final week of the blessed month of Ramadhan, and the festivities of Eid ul-Fitr are only days away.
- This month of fasting is followed by the joyous feast of Eid al Fitr, during which families visit and exchange gifts.
- My brother-in-law was supposed to come before the Eid.
- 1.2 (in full Eid ul-Adha /ˌiːdulˈɑːdə/) The festival marking the culmination of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorating the sacrifice of Abraham. Also called Greater Bairam.More example sentences
- Guards have interrupted prayers and tried to make the prisoners celebrate Eid ul-Adha (the main Muslim festival) a day late, claiming there were staff shortages.
- But during Eid ul-Adha this February, it was practically empty.
- The pilgrimage Eid is when Muslims all over the world will have a sheep slaughtered (or a cow or a goat or even a camel).
from Arabic ‘īd 'feast', from Aramaic.
More definitions of EidDefinition of Eid in:
- The US English dictionary