Definition of Eid in English:
1.1 (in full Eid ul-Fitr /ˌiːdʊlˈfɪtrə/) The feast marking the end of the fast of Ramadan. Also called Lesser Bairam.
- We are passing through the final week of the blessed month of Ramadhan, and the festivities of Eid ul-Fitr are only days away.
- This month of fasting is followed by the joyous feast of Eid al Fitr, during which families visit and exchange gifts.
- My brother-in-law was supposed to come before the Eid.
1.2 (in full Eid ul-Adha /ˌiːdulˈɑːdə/) The festival marking the culmination of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorating the sacrifice of Abraham. Also called Greater Bairam.
- Guards have interrupted prayers and tried to make the prisoners celebrate Eid ul-Adha (the main Muslim festival) a day late, claiming there were staff shortages.
- But during Eid ul-Adha this February, it was practically empty.
- The pilgrimage Eid is when Muslims all over the world will have a sheep slaughtered (or a cow or a goat or even a camel).
Words that rhyme with Eidaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
Definition of Eid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India