Definition of Elizabethan in English:
Relating to or characteristic of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I: an Elizabethan manor house
More example sentences
- Marlowe and Shakespeare dominated late Elizabethan drama, although they did not monopolize it.
- He imagined the characters of Julius Caesar wearing Elizabethan dress, and equipped ancient Rome with a medieval invention - the mechanical clock.
- It is repeatedly referred to in Elizabethan drama, and influenced the policy of Thomas Cromwell, Cecil, and Leicester.
nounBack to top
A person alive during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.
- The Elizabethans clothed this quest in poetry.
- Although he was to gain a posthumous reputation as the last of the great Elizabethans, in his interest in colonization as in so many other things Ralegh was the exception that proves the rule.
- The name Sir Walter Ralegh conjures up images of gallant Elizabethans and daredevil mariners in small boats defying hordes of Spaniards.
Words that rhyme with ElizabethanEthan
Definition of Elizabethan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.