Definition of Elizabethan in English:
Relating to or characteristic of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I: an Elizabethan manor house
More example sentences
- Marlowe and Shakespeare dominated late Elizabethan drama, although they did not monopolize it.
- He imagined the characters of Julius Caesar wearing Elizabethan dress, and equipped ancient Rome with a medieval invention - the mechanical clock.
- It is repeatedly referred to in Elizabethan drama, and influenced the policy of Thomas Cromwell, Cecil, and Leicester.
nounBack to top
A person alive during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.
- The Elizabethans clothed this quest in poetry.
- Although he was to gain a posthumous reputation as the last of the great Elizabethans, in his interest in colonization as in so many other things Ralegh was the exception that proves the rule.
- The name Sir Walter Ralegh conjures up images of gallant Elizabethans and daredevil mariners in small boats defying hordes of Spaniards.
Words that rhyme with ElizabethanEthan
Definition of Elizabethan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan