(also Engelmann's spruce)
A tall spruce found in the mountains of western North America and Mexico.
- Picea engelmannii, family Pinaceae
More example sentences
- Montane forest has lodgepole pine and Engelmann spruce, with Douglas fir often found on north slopes and ponderosa pine on south slopes.
- In the Chilcotin, a Switzerland-size plateau on the dry, inland side of the Coast Mountains, forests of Engelmann spruce, Douglas fir, and lodgepole pine are systematically mowed down.
- Five miles up the trail the tree line - a stunted patchwork of subalpine firs and Engelmann spruces - was already behind me.
mid 19th century: named after George Engelmann (1809–84), American botanist.
Definition of Engelmann spruce in:
- The US English dictionary