Definition of Englishman in English:
noun (plural Englishmen)
A male native or inhabitant of England, or a man of English descent.
- I believe it is my right as an Englishman to celebrate my national day and an infringement of my rights to stop celebrations.
- Those fans who want an Englishman to run the national side will be encouraged by the football Premiership table this morning.
- But none of the Englishmen will say that England will win.
an Englishman's home is his castle
- British proverb An English person’s home is a place where they may do as they please and from which they may exclude anyone they choose.Example sentences
- The message is: it's a free country, and an Englishman's home is his castle - just as long as you don't happen to live under the ridiculous rules of a Residents' Association!
- When I get back home… well, an Englishman's home is his castle, isn't it?
- They will argue that it breaches one of the most basic rights of all: that an Englishman's home is his castle.
Words that rhyme with EnglishmanEnglishmen
Definition of Englishman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan