- Relating to or characteristic of the book Erewhon (1872) by Samuel Butler or the utopia it describes: the views of an Erewhonian prophet concerning the rights of animalsMore example sentences
- The great danger, warned an Erewhonian radical, was not so much the existing machines as the runaway speed at which they were evolving.
- He finally makes his escape by means of a balloon, in which he carries off a lovely Erewhonian maiden.
- However, the focus of the book is England — which he satirised through his description of Erewhonian society.
nounBack to top
- An inhabitant of Erewhon: his Erewhonians destroy most of their machines to preserve their humanityMore example sentences
- He takes a liking to the jailer's young daughter Yram with whom he converses and from whom he learns about the culture of Erewhonians.
- Erewhon, set in a thinly disguised New Zealand, ended with the escape of its protagonist from the native Erewhonians by balloon.
- For instance, the Erewhonians' birth mythology accounts for unconscious memories lingering within a person.
late 19th century: from the title of Erewhon (a partial reversal of Nowhere) + -ian.