Definition of Ethiopian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Ethiopia, or a person of Ethiopian descent.
- Few Ethiopians dress in their native attire except on special occasions.
- Fish is also eaten, though it is not a popular dish among the native Ethiopians.
- For Ethiopians, the national sport has been the marathon ever since Abebe Bikila ran barefoot under torchlight to the Olympic gold medal in Rome 44 years ago.
2 archaic A black person.
- In terms of the general contour of their bodies, they resemble monstrous men, gigantic in stature, black like Ethiopians in skin color, agile like serpents, ferocious like lions.
- Jeremiah asks a burning question, ‘Can the Ethiopian change the color of his skin or a leopard its spots?’
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to Ethiopia or its people.
- During the Ethiopian famine in the 1980s, the UN squandered $75m on apartment blocks for its staff, while its failure to assemble transport vehicles left food rotting on the dockside.
- When the Ethiopian team returned from last year's Sydney Games with a haul of four gold medals, more than one million people crammed into the square to congratulate them and join in the celebrations.
- In her discussion of dress and ethnic identity among a variety of Ethiopian groups, Peri Klemm described how Oromo spirit mediums use adornment and body modification to attract and repel spirits.
2 Zoology Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Africa south of the Sahara, together with the tropical part of the Arabian peninsula and (usually) Madagascar. Distinctive animals include the giraffes, hippopotamuses, aardvark, elephant shrews, tenrecs, and lemurs. Also called Afrotropical.
- There are three easy-to-see, endemic, large mammals: the mountain nyala, Ethiopian wolf and gelada baboon.
- As a result, wildlife managers must trap and sedate Ethiopian wolves individually and vaccinate them by hand during rabies outbreaks - an expensive and time-consuming process.
- The Ethiopian wolf is the most endangered species in the group of animals known as canids.
Words that rhyme with Ethiopiancornucopian, dystopian, Salopian, subtopian, Utopian
Definition of Ethiopian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan